We’re going electric – come and join us for the ride
By Sam Ryan
Later this quarter, Zeelo will deploy the UK’s first fully-electric commuter bus (coach) services in partnership with our employer, school and operator partners. We’re building a smart commuter bus network for those living in car-dependent areas – moving 30 cars into 1 vehicle for every trip we operate, and now we’re committing to making those vehicles electric. (read more here)
Let’s face it – outside of those forced by local bus regulation or awarded with substantial grant funding, the industry has been slow to transition to electric. But it’s happening. And those who don’t invest soon, risk being left behind. Here’s why:
- People want it: 66% of consumers (73% of Millenials) would be willing to pay more for a sustainable brand (Nielsen, 2015)
- Transport has a substantial role to play in solving the climate crisis: passenger transport accounts for circa 13% of total greenhouse gas emissions in Europe and the US (European Green Deal Commission, 2019 & EPA,2020)
- Policy is gaining momentum: Euro6, PSVAR…..guess what’s next?
- Employers are increasingly being held accountable for their impact: whilst employee commuting is currently only in Scope 3 (other indirect emissions) of the Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Protocol, this is likely to change. Plus, local policy makers are beginning to mandate employers disclose their commute modal share and progress over time
- This goes for schools too: where increasingly we see concerning data about air quality
All Zeelo partners (employers and schools) will be given the option to upgrade to a fully electric service, dramatically reducing the CO2 impact of their commuters and improving air quality around their campus. Zeelo will make the transition hassle free through a managed service offering, powered by our routing engine and operations technology, which has been adapted to integrate vehicle range and charging opportunities.
For our operator partners, we’ve focussed on making the transition as easy and low-risk as possible through contractual guarantees and an EV partner package. The package pulls together the expertise and services of electric bus and coach manufacturers, charging infrastructure providers and finance companies.
Given the current situation, it might feel like the wrong time to be thinking about investing in the future – but this is exactly the time. If you’re an employer or school who wants to deploy electric commuter services, or a coach operator who is intrigued to find out more, please get in touch.
Come and join us for the (electric) ride!